A very tasty lunch or dinner!
Meal Type: Lunch
Recipe Type: Gluten Free
Prep time: 00:15
Cook time: 00:30
1 large or 2 medium red kumara
2 Tbsp. coconut cream or raw milk
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup dried quinoa (preferably soaked)
2 cups kale, stalks removed and finely sliced
1 egg (egg free option - substitute 1 Tbsp chia seeds soaked in 2 Tbsp. of water)
50-75g feta chopped
3 Tbsp of rice flour
3 cloves crushed garlic
1-2 Tbsp. grated ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
½ cup fresh herbs eg. corriander, mint or parsley
Salt and pepper
4-5 Tbsp. coconut oil for frying
2 cups salad greens
½ avocado sliced
1 spring onion finely sliced
20g feta (optional)
3 Tbsp. simple dressing
Good quality, sugar-free relish, aioli or greek yoghurt.
1. Peel and dice kumara into small chunks (2cm cubes). Place in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook until kumara are nice and soft (approximatley 15 minutes).
2. Rinse soaked quinoa and put in a separate sauce-pan with 2 cups of cold water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes until quinoa is cooked (allow more cooking time if you didn’t soak the quinoa).
3. While the kumara and quinoa are cooking - prepare the kale, garlic, ginger, feta, herbs and spices.
4. Drain kumara and mash with milk, butter and salt and pepper.
5. Drain quinoa and set aside to cool a little
6. Combine kumara, quinoa and all other ingredients (except coconut oil) in a large bowl.
7. Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a large heavy frying pan.
8. When the pan is hot, spoon mixture into small fritters and flatten slightly in the pan (approximately 1 Tbsp. per pattie, depending how big you want them). Gently fry fritters turning once (approximately 3 minutes each side). Fry in batches adding 1 Tbsp of coconut oil to the pan as you need it.
9. While patties are cooking, prepare your green salad. Serve with a good quality, sugar-free relish, aioli or greek yoghurt!